Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thursday Thoughts...

Although working 12 hours a day is really wearing me out, I am really enjoying teaching. It's now been one month since the day I was thrown in front of a class of Korean students with no training or orientating whatsoever. After a solid month of trial and error I finally feel like I have the basic hang of it. Obviously I don't "have it all down"- I am still so new at this. But I have the basics under my belt:

1. I know my students names! I currently have between 70 - 80 students whom I am teaching and they all have hyphenated Korean names (i.e. Seung-Hyung, Tae-Hoon, Myong-Jae, etc.)
2. I know how the school curriculum works
3. I know how testing goes
4. I know how to write student evaluations
5. I know all my co-workers names
6. I know each of my classes' "personalities" - who's smart, who's struggling, who's bad, who can't sit next to whom, what works, what doesn't work, etc.

So. Some classes are definitely better than others but I since I teach all different ages and levels pretty much every class has both its ups and its downs downs. All in all, I am really enjoying the job, apart from the very long hours - but that will be over soon. And hey, I'm getting paid extra for all the classes I'm covering so I'm going to use that toward my Christmas traveling!

No comments: