Saturday, November 3, 2007

Tidbits

-I tried the dried squid. Although not as "squiddy" as I had thought, I did not like it - it tasted like dry, salty, crunchy fish.
-The toilet seats at my school are heated - isn't that cool? Well perhaps "cool" is the wrong word...
-I made matzo ball soup this weekend! It tasted like Passover with my family...
-I get my first paycheck on Monday!
-My apartment does not have an oven so I bought a toaster oven. I wonder if you can bake cookies in a toaster oven?
-Here are some of the Korean foods I have eaten:

Bibimbap: A simple but popular dish made of hot rice served in a bowl topped with a variety of vegetable toppings and a fried egg. Toppings include roots, bean sprouts, spinach, seaweed, ginseng, etc. A big scoop of gochujang is placed on top as well. Before you eat it, you mix it all together very well. It's delicious but the gochujang makes it pretty spicy.
Kimchi Bokkeumbap: Fried kimchi with meat, other vegetables, and some steamed rice. It is often served with a fried egg on top. Also good but very spicy.
Kimchi Jjiggae: Sauteed kimchi with bean curd, vegetables, Korean rice cake, and noodles are mixed with meat or seafood and then cooked as a stew. Red pepper paste is added for spiciness of course. Eaten with rice. Again, good but spicy.
Sujebi - A mild, good-for-a-rainy-day soup consisting of doughy wheat noodles in a broth made of dried anchovies, shellfish, and kelp. It is served boiling hot after the broth has simmered for hours. Best of all - you season it to taste yourself so it doesn't have to be spicy!

No comments: