Monday, November 26, 2007

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving

Well due to all kinds of factors, particularly financial, I won't be going to Thailand for Christmas. I might go to Tokyo for a couple of days but Christmas is such an expensive time to travel around here that its hard to justify spending so much money. It looks like I'll just be staying here and spending time with friends. But who knows, some exciting plans might come up. A huge part of me really wants to come home but the tickets are crazy expensive now that it's less than a month until Christmas.

Work is going well. It's test/report card time right now. It's hard to believe I've been here for two months already. I am definitely going through a lot of homesickness which seems to be getting more intense instead of better. That's mainly why I haven't been blogging much lately. Thanksgiving was more difficult for me than I anticipated. It was fun because I had friends over and my attempt to recreate dinner on limited resources turned out really well. And it has been nice to get my apartment all decorated and fixed up. But it was so hard knowing my entire family was together celebrating the holiday without me. Still, despite my loneliness, I can't help but think of how many things there are to be thankful for.

I though of just making a list of things I am thankful for but I thought it would be more fun to show you in pictures ten things I am particularly thankful for these days!

1. Fall. I am so glad they have fall in Korea and that I've been able to enjoy the crisp, cool weather and the vibrant colors of the leaves!
2. My laptop/the Internet - I am so thankful for the fact that it is so easy to stay in touch with everyone via e-mail and this blog!
3. Care packages! I have already received two and I hear that more are on the way! :)

4. I'm thankful for Itaewon and import stores and the fact that I can buy overpriced Western products when I can't take any more Korean food! I am also thankful that when I come home I will have the incredible ability to go to any supermarket and buy all the familiar food I want instead of taking the subway for an hour to get to a tiny, closet-like store where I pay 3x the price for a box of Hamburger Helper :)
5. Christmas in Korea - I am excited that I am in a country where Christmas is widely celebrated. I was able to buy a Christmas tree and Christmas decorations which makes me feel more at home this time of year.
6. Skype! The incredible little program that lets me call and be called by family and friends anywhere in the world for free! And even see them on a webcam!
7. I am thankful for chicken. It's healthy, It's versatile, I love it, and it's cheap here!
8. I am thankful to be doing something I enjoy. I am so happy to be working with kids who are, in general, really fun to teach.
9. I am thankful for my friends who are always there for me and who keep in touch with me:
10. I AM THANKFUL FOR MY WONDERFUL FAMILY

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're doing great, Kayla! You can do ANYTHING for a year. Keep going! When you look back, it'll all be a blur, but you can choose now to have that blur be one long happy (but fuzzy) memory!