Saturday, November 3, 2007

Thailand

I am considering a trip to Thailand over my Christmas vacation. I know the poll I took showed that China was the first choice, but after a lot of research and having talked to people who have traveled a lot, I think I'd like to go to Thailand. Also, I think that given the time of year, I would enjoy the warmer Thai climate to the icy winter weather of Beijing and Shanghai in December. I found out I do get some time off this summer as well so I have the option of doing a trip to China then.
So why Thailand?
1. Thailand is known as "The Land of Smiles" because Thai people have a reputation for always smiling as well as for being friendly, gracious, and helpful.
2.
Thailand's islands and beaches are among the most scenic in the world. Thai cities retain an extraordinary amount of scenic attractions including Wats (temples) and Palaces. The nation also offers a tremendous variety of tropical rain forests, hill-tribe villages, coral reefs, mountains, rivers and lakes.
3. Thai cuisine is world renowned and is sooo delicious!
4. It's a lot of bang for your buck. One Thai Baht = $0.03. With such a favorable exchange rate, eating out, traveling around, shopping, and accommodations, are incredibly affordable.
The Lonely Planet Travel Guide has this to say about Thailand:
The Kingdom of Thailand draws more visitors than any other country in southeast Asia with its irresistible combination of breathtaking natural beauty, inspiring temples, renowned hospitality, robust cuisine and ruins of fabulous ancient kingdoms. Few countries are so well endowed.
Thailand may not have famous structures like the Great Wall or the Forbidden City but it has some of the best beaches in Asia, numerous temples & ruins, as well as the magnificent Grand Palace of Bangkok. Thailand also offers superb jungles and and breathtaking mountainous areas. Also, few countries are cheaper to visit than Thailand.

The main tour I am looking into is a 6 day, 5 night tour of Northern Thailand. Although Thailand is known for the gorgeous beaches along its southern peninsula, it seems the real authentic culture and charm of this ancient kingdom is up north. The tour spends several days in Chang Rai, one of the northern provinces of Thailand. Chiang Rai was founded in 1262 and its attractions include magnificent mountain scenery, ruins of ancient settlements, historical sites, hundreds of ornate temples, and many hill-tribe villages which maintain fascinating lifestyles.
Highlights of this particular tour include:
-a visit to a hill-tribe elephant camp
-a ride through hills on the back of my very own elephant
-several beautiful bike rides traveling through quaint villages and quiet temples
-a peaceful long-tail boat ride up the Mae Kok River
-a visit to a mountaintop botanical garden
-two nights at a luxurious villa on the Mae Kok River with an herbal spa and optional Thai Massages
-a night at a traditional Thai resort on the Mekong River
-two nights at a Chinese mountainside villa, overlooking terraced tea plantations
- a journey down the Mekong River on a high-speed longtail boat (60km/hr) to a Laotian market
-visits to several museums, temples, and shopping bazaars
-dining at numerous restaurants of various authentic cuisines
-a trip to Doi Mae Salong to visit a Chinese Mountain Village

Doi Mae Salong is a mountain known for its Chinese hill-tribe villages, oolong tea plantations and cherry blossoms. One of its villages, Santikhiri, has an incredible history. At the conclusion of the Chinese Civil War in 1949, some remnants of the anti-communist forces refused to surrender. These particular soldiers fought their way out of China, and lived nomadic lives in Burma's jungles before seeking asylum in Mae Salong, Thailand. In exchange for their asylum, these Chinese refugees fought for Thailand until 1982, helping to counter the communist insurgency which Thailand was facing during that time. In reward, the Thai government (which is today a constitutional monarchy) granted citizenship to these Chinese soldiers and their families. So even though I won't be going to China, I'll still get some exposure to Chinese people and culture.

When I return from the northern tour I want to do a one day tour of Bangkok with the same tour organization before I fly back to Korea.

I haven't booked this trip yet but this is what I'm leaning toward. I need to decide this week. I'd love to hear what you think...

1 comment:

JNW said...

Hey jealousy - I voted for Thailand! Buy 2 tickets!