Monday, October 8, 2007

Sunday Dinner

Tonight I ate out with my new friends from church. We had a dumpling soup, called Manduguk Jeongsik.

First, they brough burners out to our tables and put shallow pots of boiling water on them. Then they came over and dropped raw vegetables (cabbage, carrots, green onions, shallots etc) and cold, thick noodles into the water. They also put a few clams in for flavor. Next came some very thin, raw beef which cooked incredibly fast in the water. Finally into the pot went the mandu which are dumplings filled with ground meat, tofu, veggies, and spices. This was all served with kimchi of course.

Now time for my confession. I tried the kimchi at this restaurant and....well....I liked it. A lot. Apparently there are over 250 different kinds of kimchi. So I guess I dont hate all kimchi. Also I found another food that I like: Kkakdugi! This common side dish, in addition to having two k's at the beginning of its name (!), consists of cubed white radishes in kimchi brine. And mmmmm is it good.

The soup was eaten absolutely boiling hot by the way. Apparently one does not wait for soup to cool in Korea.

2 comments:

dsallard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dsallard said...

Hello Kayla,

Sorry I haven't written earlier.

Isn't it wonderful how God answers prayer? I was speaking with your mom this morning. She has been praying that you might connect with some young, Christian, English-Speaking folks.

It seems like you've met a bunch of them at the church.

I was also thinking about your earlier blog entry about what to do with your kids (heads and shoulders, etc.)!

This is the perfect opportunity where God will make you shine.

I can't imagine you running out of ideas!

We will keep you in prayer and look forward to reading of your continued adventure!

In Him,
Mr. Sallard