Monday, October 1, 2007

Other things that happened today (for teaching, see farther down)

1. First of all I learned that Korean age is different from Western. Koreans ALL count themselves one year older on January 1, not their actual birthdays. When a baby is born in Korea, it is automatically one year old. The next January 1, the baby is two years old. Thus, Koreans are usually between one and two years younger than the age they call themselves.

2. I got my money changed and discovered that my city is a happenin' place! The main drag boasts....drumroll please.......a Dunkin Donuts, Baskin' Robbins, Burger King, McDonals, and Pizza Hut! They are all more expensive than in the states but I wont eat them every day....just when I need a good, Western "fix" :)

3. McDonalds is not exactly the same here. A co-worker went to McD's today for lunch and asked if I wanted anything and since I hadnt figured out what to eat for lunch (well dinner actually) I said yes, a chicken sandwich and a coke. Well a chicken sandwhich turned out to be very spicy chicken in a very very thick pita. It was yummy but not what I had expected. The fries and coke were just like back home though :)

4. My school set up my cable tv today. I get about 6 channels that show US shows/movies with korean subtitles so I can watch those. Yay! My isolation is dwindling...now if I could just get phone and internet....

5. Wednesday is a Korean national holiday - no class!

6. Best part of the day "One of my 5 year old students as she was running out the door said, "Bye teacha! You class is very funny!" :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am sure you are a hoot in any language! Thanks for keeping us posted-I was thinking of you and praying for you today. Mrs. D