Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Long Day

It was a long day at work.

Today one of the American teachers at my school got a call saying both her parents had been killed in a car accident. I can't imagine getting that kind of news at all, let alone when you are half a world away from home. Obviously she was devastated and unable to teach so the school was really good about getting her classes covered and arranging for her to fly home for two weeks.

My supervisor asked me to cover one of the classes of the fellow teacher who went back to the States. I didn't mind at all, of course. It will make for long Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for the next few weeks though. I now have 9 classes back to back with no break. I taught the new class for the first time today, though, and they were great.

That was in the morning and the rest of the day just unravelled. All of the teachers were in sad moods and everything just felt "off". I had to send two kids to the principle's office and I've never had to send anyone there before. Then in my one class a boy called a girl a name and she starting crying. Then in another class I could not, for the life of me, pronounce this one girl's name and she started crying because of it. It felt terrible!

I am so glad to be back at the apartment now.

I miss my family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kayla,

Your family misses you, too! We also know how strong you are & how much the Lord has blessed you & takes care of you. He has given you an opportunity that not many of us ever get (travelling overseas).

In times like these, lean upon the Lord & find His strength, encouragement & support in all that you do in the next 11 months of excitement & opportunity

eNumbra said...

Everyone has a bad day now and again, you'll get through it and you will be you again tomorrow. Your blog has convinced me that you can truly do anything Kayla.

-Brandon