Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Good To Be Back

After a wonderful and fun-filled month in the States I am finally back in the Land of Morning Calm (Korea). If feels wonderful to be home. The trip here was very long but it went smoothly. I still feel very jet lagged unfortunately. I wake up full of energy very early in the morning and then feel like crashing mid afternoon, shortly after I get to work. I come home from work and go right to sleep. I really need to force myself to stay up longer after work so I don't wake up so early.

Speaking of adjusting, my body is certainly glad to be back to Korean food! I didn't even realize how accustomed I had become to the rice, meat/fish and veggies diet. It really makes a difference when your diet includes little to no cheese or greasy food. Although I enjoyed going out to eat and having many delicious meals prepared for me while back home, my tummy was quite displeased with my food intake during the entire trip.

Going back to work on Monday was a lot of fun. My students were all glad to have me back and were anxious to report that the teacher who subbed for me played absolutely no games with them the entire month. They were so indignant over this blatant injustice that I indulged them with some games my first day back which not only appeased them but helped me ease back into the classroom routine as well. The "welcome back" gifts were many and numerous, consisting of stickers, knickknacks, and drawings (one involving a girl with a sad face listening to the substitute teacher with an imagination bubble in which I'm teaching and everyone is smiling). One student even gave me a rose! Aww...

Still working on unpacking as I'm trying to give the apartment a thorough cleaning before settling in. The jet-lagged energy levels are making this a slow process so far. Right now it seems that going to work is about all I have energy for... So it's off to the gym now to try and jump start my energy before work! Tonight is Euchre night with friends and this weekend I'm working on getting my visas for the Vietnam/Cambodia trip and then Saturday night is a birthday/going away party for a friend. Sunday is church (visiting a new one!) and then in the evening I'm hosting a small Christmas party for my closest friends. So much to do before then!

No comments: