Thursday, September 27, 2007

Numbers and Lists: My Tiny Set-Back Story

6 - the number of hours of sleep I got last night
120 - the total number of pounds my checked luggage weighed
2 - the amount of times I hugged each member of my family before I went through security
6 - the number of times I looked back at them over my shoulder as I walked away
0 - the number of hours I slept on the flight to Minneapolis
1 - the number of times I spilled an entire cup of Sprite on myself and the person next to me on the plane
5,000,000 - the number of miles I had to walk to get to my connecting flight (or so it seemed!)
3 - the number of hours I waited in the airport for my flight to Toyko
17 - the number of hours my flight to Tokyo was delayed
400 - the number of passengers on the delayed flight who had to be put up in hotels and given meal vouchers
4 - the number of airline employees behind the desk helping the above mentioned 400 angry passengers
0 - the number of above airline employees who spoke English well
2 - the number of hours I stood in line waiting to get hotel and meal vouchers
3 - the number of times I tried, unsuccessfully, to call my parents from a pay phone to tell them what was happening
2 - the number of times I told a pushy fellow passenger that I would NOT go out for a drink with him
0 - the number of times the above mentioned passenger asked again after I told him that if he seriously wanted to date me he would have to ask my father
100 - the approximate number of times I repeated to myself today "Don't panic, its ok, you are alone in a strange city because your international flight has been rescheduled and you must spend the night alone in a hotel room and you have no cell phone but GOD IS IN CONTROL!"


So I am currently in Minneapolis and I have a whole lot to be thankful for:
1. Free wireless internet!
2. Free hotel room
3. Free dinner and breakfast
4. Got in touch with my parents
5. Got in touch with the school in Korea
6. Met a nice elderly man in line at the aiport who was from Korea and told me lots of great stories about the culture which made the nearly 2 hours we stood there go faster!
7. I am safe
8. I have not lost anything (a huge accomplishment if you know me)
9. My flight leaves at 9am
10. God is in control
11. God is in control
12. God is in control
13. God is in control

Hopefully next time I write I will actually be in KOREA!!!


1 comment:

Peter Schiller said...

Kayla,

PeteinMA, for one, misses you already! :-(
I think that I can also speak for at least 7 others in MA when I say that they miss you already, too! :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

I am also very proud of you for taking on such a noble pursuit while you can do so without much disruption in your life.

I hope that I am the first to reply to one ofy our posts!

What is everyone else doing while they're at work?! You can't all be working, I know most of you better than that!

I am now officially challenging all other family, friends and whoever else Kayla has sent this to (not the guy who was hitting on her in St. Paul) to start commenting to this Blog on a regular basis. Let's see who can post the most legitimate replies.

PS - No pun intended, it's not my fault that this is my initials! :-)

The Phillies are now only 1 game behind the Mets for the NL East title. I'll keep you posted! :-)