Sunday, September 30, 2007

Kwangmyong City

Kwangmyong City is definitely a CITY. I live on the tenth floor of a high rise apartment building and I have an incredible view of the city and the mountains in the distance. It is crowded and bustling and there are signs everywhere, all in Korean. The only English I have seen so far on a sign is the word PC. And that is how I am blogging right now. There are internet cafes EVERYWHERE (called PC Bangs here). There are two just on my block. The cost is about 1,000 won an hour or about $1.

I have never lived in a city before and its definitely a big change from Mt. Laurel, Grove City, or anywhere else I have lived. I even lived in Lawrence, MA which was much more of a city then Mt. Laurel but nothing compared to this. There is always noise, always cars, always people out. I woke up at 4am this morning and the intersection outside my window was backed up.

There is a Dominos Pizza on the next block but the entire menu is in Korean. I suppose I could go in and point to what I want. Oh that reminds me! Dominos delivers on motorcycles! Just like that scene in Spiderman when he rides that motorcycle thing to deliver that guys pizza on time. Tons of people drive them, actually. Which adds to the danger of driving because the motorcycle drivers just weave in and out and make things even more chaotic on the road.

So I havent explored much since its been raining and I am still settling in but basically EVERYTHING is in Korean and I cant read a word of it. People seem to know "Hello" and "thank you". But so far, other than the Korean teachers at my school, that is the extent of the English of the people I have met.

No comments: