Sunday, September 30, 2007

My Arrival

I arrived in Korea around 4pm on Friday, September 28th. I got off the plane and went through immigration/baggage claim/customs with no problems. One I got through customs I immediately saw the driver with my name on a sign. He took my bags and started hurrying off so just tried to keep up. He didn't speak a word of English, so I didnt try talking to him. The cab drive from the airport was by far the scariest part of my trip thus far. Driving in Korea is CRAZY. I cant even describe it. People honk constantly and drivers cut in front and swerve and change 4 lanes at a time all while talking on cell phones and answering their radios and not paying attention to the road!! Just remembering that makes me dizzy.

I arrived at the apartment where two men from my school met me and helped me with my luggage but they did not speak much english except to say nice to meet you and "you go with us now, yes?". So I dropped off my bags and followed them to the school which was about a 2 minute walk away. More about the school later.

After a korean teacher who spoke pretty good English showed me around the school, showed me my desk, and introduced me to my supervisor, she asked if I could find my way back to my apt building and sent me on my way.

No comments: