Thursday, January 31, 2008

Square Eggs, Skiing, and Sauvignon

Last night I went to a wine tasting with my three best friends. It was held at this really nice wine bar in Bucheon. It was very cozy with lots of paintings, warm ambience lighting, and jazz playing softly in the background. A Korean wine connoisseur taught us all about wine and how its made and we got to taste 6 varieties from different countries including Chile, California, France, Italy and Australia. We also got to eat delicious gourmet cheese. The wine tasting lasted about 2 hours after which we stayed and chatted for a while. It was such a nice, relaxing time.

My school just started a new school year so I now have an entire new schedule with new students, new classes, and some new curriculum. It is a little frustrating since I had finally become settled into my schedule here and figured out what I was doing but it's also fun to get new students and shake things up a bit. My new schedule is actually heavier than my last one in that I have more classes and fewer breaks. But I am teaching more younger kids now which I like better. I think older kids intimidate me despite the fact that they understand what I'm saying better. I think it's because I'm still pretty young myself. I have one class with ten 12 year old boys. Should be interesting trying to keep them in line...

I have a group of 3 friends that I do a lot with. The four of us work together, go to the gym together, eat together, hang out together... Glenn is from Canada, Dan is from England, and Fran is also from Canada. Having three gym buddies keeps us all working out consistently. We recently discovered a smoothie/sandwich place in town which makes delicious fruity drinks (great post-workout snack!) and yummy egg sandwiches. We call it the square egg place because they use this square metal thing to cook the eggs in so they come out shaped like a square. So I've started receiving text messages around 10am that say "Square eggs?".

We are planning a ski trip in March. I haven't been skiing in a couple years. In Korea your lift ticket package includes rentals, lift ticket, and even your ski attire for $70 - $100. I hear the mountains here are really crowded. I'm excited to leave the city though. Haven't done anything outside of Seoul since I've been here. Next week is Solnal, the Korean New Year. We get Wed, Thurs, and Fri off of work. Since I came home for Christmas, I couldn't really afford a big trip. Dan and his buddy are going to Beijing. Fran and I are planning on seeing some sights around Seoul. We have a whole list of things we want to see. Should make for some good pictures up here in a little over a week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way, California is not a country. :-)

JNW said...

Are you going to have a Super Bowl Party?