Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Day to Day Stuff

Christmas vacation and hospital scares behind me, I am back into my routine here and doing better than ever. I feel like I am over the first 3-month hurdle and I definitely feel a strong sense of belonging here in Korea. A lot of that has to do with the friends I have made and how much I love my job. But other things contribute as well such as the fact that I've gotten used to the food, I've learned "the ropes" of taking taxis, buses, and the subway, I'm getting better at reading and speaking Korean, and I have overcome a significant number of other cultural obstacles. I am half way through my fourth full month here. 109 days since I arrived in Korea to be exact.

I've added some things to my daily routine. This month I joined a local gym, where I have been consistently (3x a week) working out with a friend. Very "January" of me, I know :). I am also now a regular at several local restaurants where I have branched out in not only what I order but how much Korean I use when ordering. I have mastered chopsticks and the Korean drink-pouring techniques (when out with a group there are detailed procedures for how to pour and receive drinks including where to put your hands, arms, etc). I have found 3 great coffee shops within walking distance of my house which I enjoy on a regular basis. I have a close group of friends with whom I hang out almost every day after work and on Saturdays (making dinner, going out to eat, shopping trips, coffee house chats, game nights, going dancing). I know how to read my bills, pay my bills, send money home, use payphones, buy subway tickets, get a haircut, barter at the market, work my washing machine, turn on the heat in my apartment, and ask for directions.

I'm assimilating and adjusting and I love it!

1 comment:

eNumbra said...

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.


I just made a Star Trek reference didn't I? I'm such a nerd. =P

-Brandon