Wednesday, August 27, 2008

End of August

As August comes to a close, I have to say I am not sorry to see it go. It was hard coming back from a paradise vacation in Thailand to a crowded, polluted city, where I had to teach 10 hours a day! 10 hours is a lot of time to spend in front of kids - I'm glad to be back to my regular schedule this week. Also, August has been very rainy - it seems like it's been sunny all during the week and then when the weekend comes and I have lots of outdoor plans, it rains! Probably the thing I least liked about August was the fact that the Korean Baseball League was on hold because of the olympics! Now, granted, I had an amazing time watching Korea go undefeated in baseball and win the gold medal! But, I guess I've been spoiled going to professional baseball games every weekend this spring and summer - I really missed the outings! Anyway, the league is back in session and I am heading to a game tomorrow and a game on Saturday! My team is 7 games back from a play off spot but there is still time!

Speaking of play-offs, I have to give a congratulatory shout-out to the Philadelphia Phillies, my home baseball team, for coming from behind to beat the Met's last night in a 5 hour, 13 inning game! It was a crucial win, and now the Phillies have a half game lead on the Met's for first place in the National League East. Anyway, I woke up early to listen to the game here online and was glad I did - it was one of those games that reaffirms why I love baseball so much: your team can be down by 7 runs and still come back and win!

I am working on plans for my Hong Kong trip next month - it's coming together nicely. People keep telling me what a fun and vibrant place Hong Kong is! I am going there with two girl friends, Marie and Sarah, they are both from England. And, I just realized, we are going to Hong Kong during the mid-autumn lantern festival - it is the 2nd biggest festival in China, after the Chinese New Year! This means the city will be packed and there will be things going on everywhere, exhibitions, performances, and....a gigantic fireworks competition! I promise to take lots of pictures and bring back all the excitement for you!

With August ending, it's an exciting time of year for several reasons... Autumn is coming and it's my favorite season, my trip to Hong Kong is getting closer, my 22nd birthday is in one week, and both my baseball teams are working hard for a place in the post-season! Also, I'm getting closer to my much-anticipated month off in November when I will be back in the States, voting for our next president, eating Thanksgiving dinner, and spending time with the people I care about most!

No comments: