Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Little Things...

I love some of the little things about Korea so much. Like how I wanted to have some eggs for dinner but I didn't want to buy a dozen which you almost always have to do in the States. But here, at the convenience store, you can buy just as many eggs as you want. So I bought 3 and it was about $0.85.

I love how at McDonald's when you order something to-go they have these little plastic bags for your drink cups that have a separator in the middle and a shape so the cup stands up and you can carry it. It's much better than the top heavy carriers they usually give you back home.

I love how you always have to pay an extra $0.10 a bag when you go to the grocery store here - its a great incentive to remember to bring your own and to think more about recycling and the environment.

I love how geeky some of my students are. Today I walked into class and said to one of my classes, "Ok, we are going to have a spelling test today" and there was a resounding, "YEAAAHHH!!!" with more than one fist punching victoriously into the air. This little boy, Min-Jae said, "Teacher I LOVE spelling tests!" Shocking. But I suppose they love the challenge. The first thing they wanted to know was how many stamps they would get for a perfect store.

I love the strange little treats my kids give me. Like today, for instance, when once student gave me a squished quarter of a seafood salad sandwich on white bread which she had made herself and wrapped in plastic wrap. Huh...

I love the language barrier. Today I was coughing in class so this little boy (Kyung-Sub) came up and handed me a Korean brand throat lozenger. He said, "Teacher. You!" and pointed to the cough drop. I took it and he explained to me, "Neck candy!" as he pointed to his neck. "Because teacher doing this" and he coughed dramatically. Neck candy? Aahhh I see. Your 8-year old English vocabulary does expand to include the word "throat" but "neck" is the obvious next best body part. And of course you dont know the word "lozenger" and it is kind of like candy if you think about it. So I think I will forever call my Hall's "neck candy" now thanks to Kyung-Sub.

I collected English diaries today (every Monday). In one, after her required 10-sentence diary entry my student wrote this. I have left in the spelling errors for fun.

Subjet: Letter

Dear Teacher: Hello, Teacher! I am Chae-Won. How are you, Teacher? I'm fine, thank you. I love you, teacher! Teacher, do you have the boyfreind? I'm curous. I'm sorry, teacher, my before diary was not good. Next time diary is good. Yes, I think so. Teacher, you like food? Please answer my letter. I love you teacher!

Love,
Chae-Won


I love my job!

No comments: