Monday, March 31, 2008

Weekend

It was a lovely, relaxing weekend. Friday night I celebrated another successful month of teaching (Thursday and Friday were monthly test days) by ordering a pepperoni pizza. $15 for a small pie might seem like highway robbery but when you've pretty much eaten only rice and soup all week, it's more than worth it. I came home from work, got into comfy clothes, and settled into grading a mountain of tests with some Discovery Channel on for background noise. Quite the exciting Friday night, I know. Saturday was rainy so I bought a pink umbrella, hopped on the subway, and headed to Yongsan for some much needed retail therapy. Since I came to Korea in October most of the clothes I brought are for fall and winter. I have very little in the way of warm weather garb. 2 hours, a bag full of clothes, 1 delicious California roll later I headed to a large Barnes-and-Noble-like bookstore. I savored the novelty of seeing my native language in print as I perused the three-aisle oasis otherwise known as the "English Section". When I got back to my apartment I cleaned up a bit and made some steak fajitas. Yay for the Mexican seasoning packets that came in my care packages! After dinner I went to a friends house to watch a movie. Today (Sunday) I went to church. The church I'm going to now is really big but it somehow still felt warm and homey. The people are so nice and there are many foreigners. The pictures here are of my church. After the service my friend Joanna and I went to a coffee shop and talked for about two hours. Joanna is Korean, she studied English for a year in Canada and now she is one of the Korean teachers (who teach English) at my school. She is my age and single and a Christian and loves talking and coffee and shopping so we have lots in common and get along great! After spending time with Joanna I headed back to Cheolsan. Sunday nights have turned into a tradition of dinner and card games with my 3 closes friends from work. Turns out a group of four people is especially conducive to playing card games. Tonight we ordered Chinese and played some Euchre. Guys against girls with the losing team's penalty being they have to make dinner for the winning team one night this week. Sadly Fran and I lost but luckily I love cooking!

No comments: