Monday, March 31, 2008

6 months!

In some ways it has gone by in a flash but in other ways it seems like ages ago that I first arrived in this strange and foreign land. It's amazing what I've done and gone through in the past six months. From lonely homesick nights to fun-filled day trips with new friends. From getting lost in the city alone with no money and no cell phone battery (terrifying!!) to not even having to bring my subway map when I'm out and about in Seoul. When I first came I couldn't read anything. Now I can sound out any word and I can understand a good many of then. I can even understand bits of conversations. I've grown accustomed to the nitty-gritty ways of Korean life. The smelly food, the people spitting anytime and anywhere they want, the reckless driving, the pushing and shoving. I've come to love the whiny, sing-song intonation of the Korean language. The funny mistakes my kids make when speaking English. On Friday my student asked me, "Teacher, how big is your old?" Translation: How old are you? I love it. When I first came the food made me terribly ill each and every time I ate it. Now I go for a week eating only Korean food and things that made me cry when I first tasted them now don't even seem spicy. I desperately love my job and I desperately miss my home. I am relieved that I am halfway to coming home and at the same time can't bear to think of leaving this country which truly feels like my home now. Who knows what the next 6 months will bring? My time here thus far has vacillated between exhilarating and excruciating and everything in between but one thing is for sure: moving to Korea was a wonderful and important decision that has forever changed my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kayla!
Thanks for keeping this blog; I'm moving to Seoul soon to teach so I've really enjoyed reading it. It's wonderful to hear that Korea has been such a positive experience for you.

Take care!